Thursday 13 May 2010

Semolina Helva for Good Bored Souls


I had to try my first semolina helva, I felt like doing it. I looked for some pretext to cook it. Very often, helva is cooked when someone is dead or on the years that follow, on the very same day, as remembrance, we "cook a helva to his soul" and share it and those who eat, prays for the remembered person's soul.

I thought of my grand mothers but they passed away in cold seasons and not in a blooming May.

So I cooked it for my own soul I guess. My very bored soul lately and I made a wish-best remedy for bored souls.
I brought one plate to my neighbour that shared her mother's village fresh eggs, one plate for my next door neighbour- Dunya's mother and a large plate for our gardener and security guys.

And guess what I have received today: the most beautiful rose I have ever been offered. I took a picture of my first helva and the beautiful rose from the gardener.
Here I am giving the recipe of Irmik Hel vasi- Semolina Helva with some added cheese the way our neighbour Nevin Teyze used to make at my childhood.

Semolina Helva Recipe

semolina, 1,5 cups
olive oil, 1/2 cup
butter, 1/2 tablespoon
cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon grounded
cloves, 3-4 grounded
sugar, 1 cup
milk, 2 cups
pinenuts, 1 tablespoon or more
any unsalty fresh cheese like ricotta, 150 gr (I used turkish lor cheese)

1-Roast the semolina and pinenuts
2- Add the boiling milk and sugar
3- Add the olive oil and stir constantly until the semolina absorbs all the liquid.
4- Add the cheese and stir for 2 more minutes
5- Add the spices and butter
6- Take a deep braeth close your eyes
7- Pray for my soul and my wish to come true (every little helps, I need it ! :)
8- Mold and serve

PS(Same Day at around 20:30): Dunya has just told my name today for the first time after having "aunt berfin's cake". His mother says he wanted to have it all. I am sure he will be praying soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails